Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Week 1: The Mobius Strip - Roberson

I really enjoyed this week's video about the mobius strip. I like the idea that a person is born into wholeness and integrity, and that there should be no differentiation between the two in that person's life. Due to the stressors and humdrum of life, though, we lose touch with our souls and conform to our "roles." In thinking about this, I agree that most people adopt a different persona outside of their personal lives and behave as they feel they should in maybe their professional atmosphere. Parker Palmer stated that this way of flipping back and forth between the two can actually be detrimental and unhealthy, even painful. People may be born whole, but they become too concerned with "surviving and succeeding" and lose touch with the values and principles that make up their inner person. We subconsciously feel that it is unsafe to reveal our inner selves to the outside world, and begin to build a barrier. Palmer says that people eventually realize this disconnect and wish to close the gap, and react to life in ways that are synonymous with their core values and principles. While this is a good start, he feels that this way of thinking creates something comparable to a gated community. While one person may feel that their beliefs are the "correct" way to think, this model excludes other people and their beliefs. It doesn't allow the entrance of anything else, which can hinder unity. A better option would be the mobius strip model, which resembles the infinity symbol. This introduces the idea that there is no difference between the inner and the outer person, and the two actually feed off of each other. Whatever is inside, emerges and interacts with the outside world. We take that interaction and internalize it, and it influences what we form as our personal realities. 

I know that in my everyday life, I definitely alter my personality/appearance to fit the different roles that I have. In a professional atmosphere, I think censoring yourself and being politically correct are very important. It was a little difficult to realize that this is not exactly what Palmer was referring to. A person's inner self is a compilation of many things, and their core values should be what truly motivates the things they do or say. I can see the ways in which I have previously lived the "circle" model. I have always tried to live from my heart and stay true to my beliefs, but there have been instances in which someone did not agree with my beliefs and I was unwilling to hear their side. Our LifeSmart text talks about a biopsychosocial model of development, in which it "results from the interaction of biological, psychological, and social/environmental factors" (Fiore, p. 13). It makes sense that a person's views would be influenced by outside factors, and should not be dismissed because they are different from their own. All of these outside influences help shape a person as they progress through life, and can change accordingly. 

As an aspiring teacher, I think this was a great reminder for how we want our students to look at the world. It is already full of closed-minded people that attach themselves to their beliefs and block out all others. I want my students to be able to address opinions and thoughts that are different from their own in ways that are not demeaning or dismissive. I want them to think critically, but never by passing judgment. We live in an ever-changing, diverse world, and I would love for my students to be equipped with the tools they need to excel within it. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that you can already see the connections with your role as a future teacher. Identity is definitely a central theme that impacts students of all grade levels. I'm also glad to see you gravitated to the the biopsychosocial approach in the readings. Much of development needs to be explained in a multifaceted approach and look at nature and nurture.

    ReplyDelete