Sunday, November 6, 2016

Week 3: Infancy - Roberson

I decided to focus on Chapter 5 in our LifeSmart text this week, as it is the stage in development I am most intrigued with. So many developmental milestones take place within the womb and when a child is a newborn, but Piaget believed that "the first few years of life are marked by extraordinary mental growth and influence the entire course of development" (Fiore, p. 112). When we were discussing chapter 2, I liked Erikson's theory of development and his breakdown of age groups in relation to their psychosocial crises. I feel that Piaget offers an even more intricate breakdown of a child's first year of development, which lays the framework for how that child will experience life. His theory was that children are active constructors of their own world, and was in direct contrast with Skinner's view that children are sponges waiting for something to absorb (Fiore, p. 102). I really liked the way the chapter laid out each developmental benchmark, and this is what I took from it:

Breastfeeding: 
This is such a taboo concept right now, in a time where women are ridiculed or judged for breastfeeding their children in public. All that drama aside, it was nice to read of the benefits of breastfeeding and just how exactly it affects development. Babies that are breastfed experience less illness, have stronger bones, display more advanced cognitive development, make an easier transition to hard food, and are at a lower risk for obesity (Fiore, p. 104-105). I know that some women are unable to breastfeed or are uncomfortable with it, and I think it is ultimately the decision of the mother. 

Motor Development:
I especially enjoyed the section about motor development, as motor planning is a concept that is discussed often at work. Many children with autism struggle with motor skills and find it difficult to complete activities such as cutting, catching, grabbing, etc. While a student may be at one developmental level, they may need extra supports (such as a "talker") to help them show it. It was interesting to learn that motor development is thought of on two planes: Cephalocaudal - from head to feet
and 
Proximodistal - from the center out to the arms and legs (Fiore, p. 107)
Babies develop motor skills from the minute they are born, and can be displayed in simple ways such as lifting or turning their heads. 

Perception:
The way a child perceives something can start as early as the infant years. When a baby learns to walk, their attention shifts from one thing to another  and strengthens their perception. Perception is the basis for growth of thought, regulation of emotions, social interactions, and progress in almost all aspects of development (Fiore, p. 110). 

Sleep:
Sleep is essential for growth in babies, and can even influence their cognitive development. I found it so interesting that babies are in REM sleep 80% of the night, whereas adults only reach REM 20% of the time (Fiore, p. 110). 

Habituation:
If a stimuli is presented to a child often, there will be a decrease in his attention. If the stimuli is altered, it can renew the child's attention and shows awareness of the difference (Fiore, p. 111). I love to see the connection between these chapters and my life at work. Every week, we develop a simple concept for the children to learn about for that week. Every day, the concept (For example: dirty) is explored in a different way, and the word is repeated often to secure comprehension. We do this because it is easy for a child to lose sight of the meaning of a word and attach it to one concept only. Repetition ensures that the children are experiencing the word in several ways that they can use in the future.

Language:
As an english language arts enthusiast, I am so enamored with the inter-workings of language and its significance in development. Language, while different across the continents, is so similar in nature and important for culture and education. The text talks specifically about a method called fast-mapping, when a child doesn't understand a word but acquires information about it from the surrounding context (Fiore, p. 113). This is the best way for children to acquire meaning from language they are not familiar with. One of my favorite sayings is, "Use your context clues!"


All of these categories (among so many more!) contribute to a person's beginnings in their development.


4 comments:

  1. Ashley, it's so great that you highlighted all the important facts you found in the readings! One specific topic that stands out in your blog that may not get as much attention as breastfeeding or another popular topic, is sleep. My husband and I had so many arguments when our children were born about sleep! This reading just confirms my theory of how important it is for all children to get as much sleep as possible. REM sleep is one of the most important types, and to know that children get more than adults, supports my theory. Some parents are so anxious for their children to grow up sometimes, they make plans to do activities that are elaborate and very time consuming, leaving little time for rest. Most children have short term memory and will not remember half of the things they do before the age of 5, so it is more important for them to get proper rest to give them the best opportunity for a healthy development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How 'bout it! I completely agree. I want to focus more on family time when I have one and less on filling our days with extracurricular activities. I think it is important for kids to be involved in things, but not at the expense of exhausting them. I am no good to ANYONE when I don't get sleep, and I imagine its that much worse for children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    I love the way you organized your post, covering all the issues discussed in the reading. I am also a Language Arts enthusiast (I have a Bachelor's degree in English), and find the whole concept of language and the role it takes in development to be fascinating. It's so interesting that we begin using "context clues" before we even realize what that is. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    I enjoyed reading your response with focusing on Chapter 5 of this weeks readings. Your organization and break down of each topic made your blog easy to read and follow along with.
    To me I think it is interesting when it talked about breastfeeding, probably because it is so widespread and talked about now. I am not sure if I am 100% on board with it saying that it is proven to be "better" simply because I was reading an article I think around a month ago about newly developed formula that is exactly just as good as breast feeding now. I don't know though how true it is and what science is behind it, I think that it is up to each mom and as long as their baby is eating and healthy that is all that truly matters! I chose nursing but I know that is not always something every mom has the ability to do because of their jobs, maybe they are adoptive parents, their bodies just did not produce ample amounts of milk, etc. I think the further we get into this book the more interesting it is going to be.

    ReplyDelete