Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 5 - Adolescence - Roberson

If I think about one time in my childhood that I would not be eager to do again, it would definitely be adolescence. If I could do it again without all the emotions and everything else that accompany it, then I might consider it. I had a great childhood and enjoyed most of my school years, but adolescence was a time of marked uncertainty. Everyone was trying to fit in while also fighting vehemently to "stand out."  Expectations in school are higher and the impending doom of "what do I want to be when I grow up?" lingers. All of this is happening simultaneously with changes in your body that can be confusing or inconvenient.  We all know that kids are mean to each other, but the level of mean can change drastically at this stage.

Physical Changes:
There is a laundry list of milestones in a child's development that can be considered the beginning of adolescence. One common one is the beginning of menstruation or the first ejaculation. While uncomfortable to talk about for most, it is an important sign of puberty and its transition. Girls can get their first period between the ages of 8 and 16 years old. I have read that the age is getting younger and younger, possibly due to added hormones in dairy. I think if this is true, it is alarming and should be curbed. I am a big advocate for children remaining young and innocent for as long as they can. In today's society children are encouraged to grow up faster and deal with situations too mature for them. Becoming a woman is a process that should be experienced when a girl is of the correct age to handle it. I know that body type and other elements also contribute to early menstruation, so I would like to read more on the subject. The book states that "healthy biopsychosocial development depends on accurate communication with adults about this topic" (Fiore, p. 187). I remember going to Robert Crown Center, where they taught the basics of puberty. I never really had any conversation with my parents on that subject, and I don't think that it necessarily harmed me. My mom never made a big deal of the things that were happening to my body, and I am grateful for it. It was natural but not something we discussed at great lengths. The book also talks about body dysmorphia, and I can see how it is a prevalent problem in youth today. Teens are being fed with what a "normal" body looks like in the media, and can struggle to measure up. 

Cognitive Development:
I had never thought about the development of the brain, and how it develops at different rates of speed in every person. "Growth spurts in the parietal and frontal lobes of the brain, as well as subcortical regions, make possible tremendous changes in the quality of a teenagers thinking" (Fiore, p. 191). Before we would take big standardized tests, it was always encouraged that we eat a balanced meal and get plenty of rest. I now know that food actually does contribute a lot to thinking and actually can be "brain food." When I sit down to do homework now as an adult, I can't accomplish anything if I haven't gotten enough sleep. 

Adolescent egocentrism is an adolescent's tendency to exaggerate the importance or uniqueness of their social and emotional experiences. I had to laugh when I read this, because I can remember this being the case. Any unfair situation was catapulted into the most unjust case in the history of cases and I could not be consoled. I watch my teenage sister go through this exact thing, and I thank my lucky stars to have successfully made it to adulthood. How exhausting! 

Social Development:
I loved reading that "although mothers today spend more time in the workplace than in previous decades, they spend as much time interacting with their children as mothers did decades ago - perhaps even more" (Fiore, p.195). Nice! Feminist fist bump. I do think that fathers are taking more active roles in their children's lives than ever before, but I know that I always went to my mom for nurturing and guidance. Eventually, adolescents want to stay out with their friends and spend less time at home with their parents. My dad and stepmom are experiencing "empty nest" syndrome, as my 16 year old sister is the last of us and is never home. They bought a french bulldog that is seeming to fill that void for the time being :)

4 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I liked your post on social development. That makes me happy that moms are able to interact just as much as when they are home. I am looking to go back to work after being off a year and this was one of my biggest concerns. I agree with you that fathers are doing much more now. My husband does a lot for our son, stuff most dads some years ago never did. This is very refreshing to me to see the dads give the moms the much needed help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    I loved your take on the social development and describing your parents' current experience with it. I agree there is definitely an increase in working mothers in our country (yeah!) and I think it is great that fathers are taking a more active role in their children's lives. This can be crucial to development.
    I also talked about how adolescents are being told today by the media what a "normal" body looks like. I think that this is disgusting. There is not one single teenager who has a "normal" body and to tell them that that is what they have to look like, especially to this group of impressionable young people who don't want to stand out is a disgrace. Great post, and I look forward to reading more!

    P.S. Sorry about the comment before. I realized I was signed into the wrong account!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    I loved reading your blog and the setup so it is easy to follow the different topics you point out.
    I would never want to go back in time to childhood, not because I did not have a great group of friends and a good family but as you pointed out, the emotions and everything else that accompanies puberty is sometimes just to much to handle and take in.

    ReplyDelete