Monday, November 14, 2016

Week 4: The Development-packed Early Childhood - Roberson

I loved reading about the various stages within Early Childhood that contribute to so much of a child's development. More so than that, it is so fascinating to apply these concepts and theories to things that I have learned in the workplace. I know that I have found the correct direction for my life because I am so intrigued by these different theories and beliefs. I appreciated the section on motor skills because I can see the deficits in the students I work with, and the way they size up to typical students without disabilities (Fiore, p. 132). I currently work half of my day with one student and the other half with another, and their profiles couldn't be more different. My student in the morning has vast motor skill deficiencies that range from the inability to straighten his arms to the inability to write words without a slant board and pre-drawn lines. The student I'm with in the afternoon has excellent motor skills and has more issues that are anxiety-based. This student is 17 and is academically at the 2nd grade level. What is so interesting about these readings is that I can actually determine what developmental level he is at by the characteristics that he shows. I've been with him a little bit longer than the first student, and the progression I have seen in him is amazing. Situations that were harder for him to comprehend, or situations that incited more anxiety, are few and far between because he is progressing through these levels as he matures. 

I really took a lot from the section on Constructivist Education because it is most similar to what I have experienced. The book used an example of conducting a cooking lesson, and how it caters to science (measurement) and math (quantities). We often do cooking activities that require the children to pick out the correct measuring utensils and "experience" the quantities in a tangible way. I thought that this was also tied to symbolic play, in that it allows children to have an outlet that allows them to assimilate reality to themselves (Fiore, p. 134). There will be days that we will fill the entire classroom with different color foam to allow the kids to fully experience the concept of "foam" or "wet" or "clean." While it is messy, it allows the students to be a part of the concept they are learning and experience it in several different ways that they can draw meaning from. 

Vygotsky took constructivism a bit further and made connections between education and social relationships (Fiore, p. 135). Another important theme that we facilitate at work is the importance of relationships. Actually, our entire model is relationship-based. Students are encouraged to develop relationships with their one-on-one paraprofessionals in order to build confidence in academics. Throughout the day, students are encouraged to interact with each other. In students with autism, it can be hard to maintain engagement and build these relationships. The paraprofessionals encourage peer to peer interactions that encourage the students to acknowledge and eventually rely on each other. It can  be easy for these students to slip inside of their minds and shut others out, and I agree with Vygotsky in that it is imperative for them to stay in the "here and now." 

I also really enjoyed the section about sibling relationships, as I can totally relate! I am the oldest sibling of 4, and I absolutely paved the way and set guidelines for how the younger ones were expected to act. Did they always follow suit? Absolutely not! Were their rules the same? Absolutely not. "In early childhood, older siblings often act as caregivers for their younger brothers and sisters, which provides opportunities for them to learn about the needs of others" (Fiore, p. 143). I am so grateful for being the oldest sibling, because I think it really developed my love of teaching and nurturing. As it is, I want at least three children when I decide to have them. I used to make my first little brother play school with me (much to his dismay) and I loved developing "lesson plans" for my pupil. 

4 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I appreciated your story about being the oldest of your siblings and the role that you assumed. I was the second oldest of 6, and the oldest boy, so I related very much to your point that older siblings "set the guidelines for how the younger ones are expected to act." It certainly seems to slip over time though, my siblings and I often comment about how we never would have gotten away with the things my 2 youngest sisters do now, haha.
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your blog and I could totally relate to what you wrote about sibling relationships. I am the oldest girl of 5 children, and I definitely think that I helped pave the way for my younger siblings, especially as it relates to my parents. The five of us have a bond that will last a lifetime, and I would dare say we are soul mates. I thought it an interesting point when the book stated with siblings "bonds are formed that usually last a lifetime, often longer than those between husband and wife or parent and child". Presently, I would argue that I am closer with my husband and children, but those relationships have a different dynamic. However, I cant deny that I have had a longer history with my siblings. When I look at my mom, I can see a very close bond between her and her siblings. They have a wonderful relationship, understanding and respect for each other. They travel, go to dinners and church together. All of their kids are adults & 3 out of 6 spouses have passed away, so it does appear that their relationships have lasted longer than any other relationships they have, and have truly stood they test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you emphasize Vygotsky. He often goes under looked in development. In education we can't figure how many things we teach that are not academic. Your quote, " Another important theme that we facilitate at work is the importance of relationship," is refreshing to see. There is a term called the hidden curriculum which highlights all of the social skills schools teach and happy to see that being emphasized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,
    I really liked reading about your experiences with these concepts. I found how you fill the rooms with different colors of foam for your students both awesome and very innovative (and to be honest..really fun!)! I never would have thought of doing something like that. I also really liked what you said about encouraging peer-to-peer relationships with your students. I also found that when working with students with special needs that it can be difficult for them to engage with their peers, because so much of their lives are centered around their engagement with adults.
    I am also the oldest sibling in my family and I have always thought of myself as a caregiver to my brother, but I never really thought about it in terms of my desire to be a teacher like you mentioned. I guess when I think about it, I don't know if I would have chosen the same career path if I had not "shown the ropes" to my brother when we were younger. Great post!

    ReplyDelete