Saturday, November 26, 2016

Week 6: Early & Middle Adulthood - Roberson

Early adulthood is reached when a person is between 18 and 25 years old. Emerging adulthood is commonly used to identify the transition into adulthood (Fiore, p. 208). This transition can be marked by several different rites of passage: religious, physical, educational, social, and economic. These are different occurrences that prompt a person to prove themselves to be considered a mature member of society. Middle adulthood is characterized by physical and cognitive changes due to aging, but also when people have essentially "hit their stride" (Fiore, p. 232). Both stages of adulthood are marked by the biopsychosocial development theory:


Physical Development

Early Adulthood - During this stage, the physical changes that were occurring in adolescence are starting to slow down. People are considered to be at their physical peak at this age. One thing I found very interesting (and frightening!) is that "the peak performance capacity of each of our organs, muscles, and bones declines approximately 1% per year after age 30" (Fiore, p. 210). I can see how this is true, because as I approach 30 I can definitely see how my body is changing. I have less energy throughout the day and can't do things that I could before. In high school I was on the dance team and was part of a kick line. If I attempt to get my legs in the air now, they barely leave the ground. My equilibrium is not quite the same, either. My motion sickness has gotten exponentially worse as I've gotten older, and theme parks are a thing of the past. It's funny that such a fulfilling time in life is also marked by these sometimes alarming realizations! It is also important to pay closer attention to diet and nutrition during this time, and this is easier to do when you're older and have the time and money. 
Middle Adulthood - Things shift during middle adulthood and health concerns become even more pressing. It is during this time that is suggested for adults to get regularly tested for any problems. Preventative measures should be taken to fight against old-age and illness. It is important to measure blood pressure and cholesterol to monitor heart health. My grandmother had a massive heart attack several years ago, and now I annoy my dad constantly about staying vigilant on check-ups. We tend to get into the mindset of "it won't happen to me" and we don't stay on top of those things like we should. I have a genetic kidney disease, and have skated by not really thinking about it until now. I regularly check my blood pressure, as high blood pressure is commonly associated with the disease and can cause my kidneys to fail sooner. Things that were never on my mind as a child are a bigger priority now!

Cognitive Development

Early Adulthood - In the 50's and 60's, William Perry conducted a study of a group of males from Harvard ages 17 to 22. While he received criticism because all of the subjects were male, I can see how the data he recorded could be applicable to females at this age as well. "This sequence consists of nine positions grouped into three broader categories that show progress from belief in the absolute authority of experts to the recognition that one must make commitments and be responsible for one's own beliefs" (Fiore, p. 215). 

Dualism
Things are either absolutely right or absolutely wrong.

Relativism
Anything can be right or wrong depending on the situation; all views are equally right.

Commitment
Because of available evidence and my understanding of my own values, I have come to new beliefs.

Perry and Labouvie-Vief stressed the importance of education to help individuals further develop these things, and later research was done to take into account the influence of culture. It is imperative for educators to provide an education that also helps children develop their individuality. If they are given the correct tools, it will only help them to progress through these levels.
Middle Adulthood - 
"No aspect of adult functioning has received more research than intelligence" (Fiore, p. 239). While the ability to store and accumulate information (crystallized intelligence) does not decline with age, the ability to think and act quickly and abstractly (fluid intelligence) does. Expertise in a subject is achieved at this stage because of increased experience and acquired knowledge. Creativity is something that does not decline with age, and research shows that it can be strong in middle-aged adults. I can't wait until I can get to the point in my life where I have less responsibilities and can focus on creativity.

Social Development

Early Adulthood - Individuation relates to how we develop our own personalities and thoughts that eventually branch out from our parent's. As we develop these identities, we start to desire to merge identities with others for partnership. These relationships can be close friendships or love. Robert Sternberg came up with a theory of love called the triangular theory, in which love is represented by passion, intimacy, and commitment (Fiore, p. 221). If all three of these are achieved, it is then called consummate love and is the fullest form of love. This then leads to marriage and parenting. The dynamics of marriage have changed over the years in relation to sexual preference. Career development and identity become very important. I think that this stage is the most exciting for social development, but I may be biased ;) Things are gearing more towards family and a sense of unity rather than a focus on self like in adolescence.
Middle Adulthood - Erikson's theory of generativity vs. stagnation compares the ability to to be useful to self and society to a feeling of boredom and indifference. Adults at this stage generally have the aim of guiding the next generation and providing wisdom. During this time, friends become fewer and more precious. 

3 comments:

  1. As I am in my mid 20's this post really made me think about when was the last time I actually got checked up for a routine check-up, which was last year around this time. But before then I rarely went to the doctor because just like your post, I thought "this wouldn't happen to me" and I thought to myself that I am young and should have fun, not saying I thought I was invincible but I was naïve. As I read your post it makes me think about how human beings are born to this world as we continue to age, we age with our body decaying very very slowly but surely decaying and as times continues our bodies I believe decay faster once we hit the peak of age 30 or 40, not super fast but at a speed that it is slightly more noticeable. But interesting post, this definitely made me think more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley and Savon, I think in our 20s we all think that we are invincible! Thank goodness that we no longer have to wait to be educated about our health. There is information everywhere; computers, smartphones, and video games all promote health and how one should their primary care doctor before participating in exercise activities. There is no longer any excuses not to know our individual health statuses and how we can either maintain or improve them for future health, wellness, to prevent and or control diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are spot on by pointing out that we lose the time to be creative. Their is a psychologist named Sternberg that studied creativity extensively. One thing he found out is that creative people need to have a creative environment. For many the daily hustles associated with adulthood don't provide that creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete